Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Monday, December 2, 2013


So, there's a new blog banter up and like all good ones, it has both a surface answer and a much deeper answer. Here's the subject:
EVE Online can be a game of heart-pounding, palm-sweating, adrenaline-fueled ecstasy or agony. Sometimes over the years those reactions dim and what was once a panic inducing situation becomes commonplace routine. For some, the shakes never go away.

From Druur Monakh (Twitter: @DruurMonakh) we get the topic of this banter: what was your most nail-biting experience in EVE Online so far? It could be PvP in a 1v1 or 1000v1000, your first fight or your latest one, a scam so close to being uncovered too soon, a trap almost sprung on an unsuspecting victim or the roles reversed and you desperately try to escape.
From the first time I taught basic PvP classes, I always taught people that PvP was one of the main reasons to play EVE Online. And I then taught that the main reason to do PvP in this game are the consequences. That's what makes PvP in EVE worth doing for me: the fact that no matter how things go, there are going to be significant lasting consequences to the fight. That's what causes the "shakes." So yeah, my most nail-biting experiences in EVE are going to be about the PvP.

But like any other drug, there are various levels to it.
Gene Ryack: Why don't you go home huh? Look at me, look at Neely, we're all a bunch of trouble junkies, we've been main-lining danger and adrenaline for so long, nothing else gets us off. It's kinda sick.


Gene Ryack: Before you pick up the habit -- and you will pick up the habit -- go back to L.A. and be the weirdest guy in the room again. Whadaya think?
Air America. Another of my favorite bad movies. ;-)

DruurMonakh is dead right about one thing: your hardest shakes can come from a 1v1 or a fight with several hundred, or several thousand. And for every EVE player, the level of the shakes is different. For myself, I got a good case of the shakes the first time I went into a 1v1 between two frigates. Then I got the same level of shakes the first time I was in a 20v20 skirmish. But as the fights I was in got larger and the number of players increased, I found that the largest fights in EVE just left me cold. I've been in a fight with a couple of thousand in local, more than once. And I've found that for myself, the less my own player skill can make a difference in the fight, the less involved I am in the fight and the less I care about the outcome.

Put another way, this loss caused a bigger case of the shakes than this one. I was hardly invested in that second fight at all. The first one is one of my most memorable experiences in EVE.

But of course other players feel very differently about the matter and they want to be on the winning side of big epic fights with hundreds of players per side. That's what gets their juices flowing and I'm more than happy for them about it. That's one of the most important things for me about EVE Online is that there is room enough in this game for people who get the shakes from a big sov battle involving hundreds of players and for people who get the shakes from a 20v20 skirmish and people who get the shakes from a well-flown 1v1. Hopefully, CCP will never forget that.

Though from time to time I worry they already have.

Good question, Druur!


  1. I totally agree. I lost a Tristan earlier today. Got amped up for a 1v1 versus a tormentor and had a slicer come in and immediately didn't care. Basically just aligned out and got my pod out. Immediately after that had a fight with a comet vs my incursus, which cost less than my Tristan, and ended the fight victorious with a burnt out ab, mostly burnt guns, and in 50% structure and shook for several minutes.

  2. Hmm, you were in LAWN... never knew that.

    Anyways, your blog/CSM term has been good enough to make up for that I suppose :P

  3. The one who makes the decisions probably always experiences the "shakes" to some degree. But if you as a cog in the machine is largely superfluous, the impact of your piloting decisions aren't felt and your opinion isn't heard, why would you get the "shakes" when you own little of the responsibility and even less of the potential "glory"?

  4. My own personal best shakes story...

    The alliance had held a friendly T1 cruiser FFA earlier in the day. I preformed better than I had expected...well, maybe it's more accurate to say I survived longer than I had expected.(http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_related&kll_id=16137285) At this point I was still very inexperienced in PvP(not that I ever got a ton of experience.) But having to watch my own six and chose targets all on my own as fast as I could certainly got the juices flowing.
    After the FFA some folks ran over to Misaba to respond to a pointed red carrier with BS's. I just grabbed an SB on my way over. That was my first fight where I was having to really closely watch and manage my transversal or else get splatted really easily, wet paper bags that coverts are. It took quite a while before -A- were annoyed enough at me in particular that they bothered to swat me down. (http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_related&kll_id=12638750)

    After all that I had a serious case of the shakes, and was late for lunch, but couldn't focus. My wife had to force me to sit down and be still and eat.

    Eve PvP rules.

  5. *CLAP *CLAP *CLAP, well said sir, I am going to direct people to this whenever they ask me why I play Eve. Nothing said here that I don't agree with wholeheartedly.

  6. If your getting the shakes in PvP your doing it wrong.

    "Fly what you can afford to lose."

    If you follow that advice then the shakes should never happen because, a win is a win and a loss means nothing.

    Ashina Sito

    1. If you are emotionally uninvested in your PVPing, maybe you should do something else that strikes your fancy?

      In priciple at least I don't believe value-at-risk is what makes a fight interesting, but rather uncertainty as to the outcome.

    2. I'm going to have to disagree with you here. While I agree with EVE rule #1, that doesn't mean you shouldn't care about winning or losing.

      I see you're a decently accomplished solo pvper. Why do you fight if you are apathetic about the outcome?

    3. Bullshit. The cost of the ship is nothing. Folks get the shakes because they care.

      I've flown in ships fitted out specifically to get blown up. I got the shakes when separated from the main fleet, I ended up in a 1v1. No backup and I really wanted to get back with the pack. the fight was short, nasty, and ended (like I believe a lot of remembered 1v1's do) in a coin toss to see who ran out of structure first.

      I ended up docking up after that, and never did catch up to the fleet, as I needed to walk away from the computer to get my pulse back down.

      If I ever had a 1v1 where my pulse didn't rise, I'd uninstall EVE. Hell, sometimes I can't help my pulse start to race when I undock in losec. In a noob ship.

  7. My latest shaky day in eve:

    An EVE story by Brad:

    15 jumps we were
    15 jumps for a Raven and a Tengu
    15 jumps from safety we went.
    Followed we were.
    Followed by the reds we went
    3 jumps out the brave Crow pilot caught us
    PewPew my tengu went
    woosh woosh the Raven goes
    Pop pop goes the crow
    But the courageous Inty pilot served his purpose
    15 against 2 we were
    The tengu speeding away.
    Sadly the Raven couldn't make the speed
    KABLOOM went the raven
    Bravely it died.
    15 to 1 it went,
    and GF were had.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.