Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Weekend off

After much deliberation, I decided to give myself the weekend off. So I spent a lot of time playing EVE, watching the CCP stream on Saturday, and thinking about EVE, but almost no time writing about EVE. Sorry about that, but sometimes even robo-bloggers need to recharge a bit. I will admit to my shame that I caught myself whistling "Islands in the Stream" at one point Sunday afternoon. Those who watched the CCP stream will understand the joke...

Meanwhile, I had some good fights and some good luck with EVE over the weekend and some bad luck...


For those not completely familiar with the symbols, that's six anti-virus/firewalls, two restoration nodes (plus one I killed to get that far), and two virus suppressors (plus one I killed to get that far). Potential prize for finishing? 10 Power Circuits. The hacking mini-game is fun sometimes, but it still needs some work. ;-)

Anyway, lots of posts that I want to wrap up before the week is out, so I'll be getting back to work over the next several days catching up. Happy Monday, kids!

7 comments:

  1. If that were a wormhole hacking site it would be pretty normal and mundane. Not fun by any stretch of the imagination for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After you finish the mini-game enough, you start to get at feel for where the system core will be. It's especially important in null-sec sites (even with T2 equipment on a cov ops) that you don't explore the whole map. Nine times out of 10, the system core is located directly opposite your starting node. So you often narrow down the location to ~10 nodes. So instead of starting breadth-wise, dive in straight toward where the core should be, then explore around there. You'll generally have a much higher success rate, coming across far fewer suppressors and restoration nodes simply because you're exploring less of the map.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever the subject of PVE comes up (loot drops, officer spawns, invention chances, etc.) there is no shortage of mongos who spout "random is random". None of these people could define "random" in the context of game probabilities if their life depended on it. CCP has a penchant for reinventing the wheel whenever and wherever possible. There are a few good ways to generate pseudo-random numbers on a computer, and a lot of bad ways. Guess which way CCP does it?

      Delete
  3. When you finish with your blogging holiday, how about an update on subscriber stats. Seems to me that whenever I log on, there are now fewer players than there were six months ago.

    The last *many* expansions have been pretty lackluster, with regards to eye-popping new content, so, while shib rebalancing might be satisfying to the older players, I don't think it is doing much to attract new players. DUST certainly didn't do anything to generate more interest in EVE, except add more spam to certain system local chat channels.

    And, bitter vet syndrome is still taking its toll, with steady attrition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it just my imagination or are the eveo forums much quieter than they were a couple of years ago?

      Delete
    2. I would be interested in Sub numbers on the World Server. I know they have been able to claim they have been growing because the Chinese server created a lot of new players, but those numbers seem to be falling too.

      Delete
  4. The hacking mini-game is fun sometimes? Can I have some of what you are smoking? Or is it that your life has become so tedious that even this bomb of ccp content can appear entertaining?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.