Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Thursday, January 2, 2014

December junk drawer

Welcome to the junk drawer, part of a series of monthly posts in which I dump all the stuff that I couldn't develop into full blog posts this past month. And there's again a huge amount in the junk drawer this month, so let's get started.


As is becoming my custom with these posts, let's do some graphics stuff. I really need to do these as pictures of the week. That's what I used to do... (Note to self: do more POTWs in 2014.)

Someone had way too much time on their hands (a few more details are at the relevant Reddit thread).

Remember how God's Message To All His Creation was written in enormous letters of fire on that unpronounceable planet?(1) EVE players have figured out how to do that (it involves way too many reinforced Mobile Depots):

Anyone see Ender's Game?

I don't even play Mechwarrior Online and this made me laugh. The developers released a ton of "gold mechs", no doubt wanting to cash in on some of that Star Citizen Stupid Player Syndrome.(2) Instead, some wag put together a similar-looking graphic on what players would be willing to pay RL money for...

This made me smile: "EVE according to null-sec players":

And finally, this one is submitted without comment. Or more to the point, if you read this blog you can probably guess my comment.


A couple of "Iceland is weird" entries, one mostly positive (but also, slightly nuts), one just nuts.

A month ago, the Icelandic police were forced to shoot a man who appeared to be firing his shotgun randomly around his apartment building. This is obviously a terrible tragedy and I'm sad that someone had to die to protect others. But, ummm...
[Icelandic] Police are unarmed, too. A special force called the Viking Squad can carry arms.
Come again?
A special force called the Viking Squad can carry arms.
One more time?
Yeah, that's what I thought you said. Thanks. Also, "Viking Squad" in 900AD kills someone? More mead! Viking Squad in 2013 kills someone? "Counseling is being provided to the special forces team." Er, k.

Anyway, this one's just nuts (but in the best possible way). Elf lobby blocks Iceland road project. I swear I am not making this up.
Issues about Huldufolk (Icelandic for "hidden folk") have affected planning decisions before, and the road and coastal administration has come up with a stock media response for elf inquiries, which states in part that "issues have been settled by delaying the construction project at a certain point while the elves living there have supposedly moved on".
Er, k.


A couple of quick tool-related ones.

ISK Per Hour is a terrific tool for industrial-minded EVE players: among other things, it allows you to use your skills and blueprint lists to maximize your income from research and manufacturing. If that's your play style and you're not using this tool, start.

One of the nifty newer features of the eve-dingo.com site is a rolling track of in-game coalitions. This is pretty handy if you have a hard time remembering who's in what circle (see the map above). There's also a new Local Scan app on this site (check the toolbar on top). And still pretty handy for scout d-scan reports, of course...


And finally, a couple of random shorts, one per paragraph.

One of the things that Goons have been complaining about their opponents besides Slocat tactics is the striking range of those very same carriers: 13 regions within jump range from this staging system alone. Apparently, Goons are only just now figuring out that capital ship mobility is OP.

This made me laugh: one of the types of synth boosters is quite literally cut with trash.

Months and months ago, I mentioned that if a character is bio-massed while they're in your corp, all their junk gets thrown into your corp impound. You probably don't remember. Anyway, it looks like that's still happening. But at least now you can trash stuff in corp impound. I'm not sure when that was added, but it's a welcome feature!

What's the record for keeping a GM engaged on a single petition?

And finally, CCP Stillman's last day at CCP was the day before yesterday. This is why that makes me sad; I'm really sorry to see him go! Hopefully, the new security guy at CCP will be as good!


And that's all for the junk drawer this month.  As I said, lots of stuff this month!

(1) If you don't get this reference, I cannot help you.
(2) I'm sorry if you were one of them, but damn... buying things in Star Citizen is out of control.


  1. That GM thing makes me wonder if there is some NSA guy somewhere reading that wondering wtf is going on.

  2. Well, we do still have Peligro and he's still banning RMTers and seizing ISK. But I think we'll miss Stillman and his internet security prowess. Once the botting diminishes, the next way for the RMT sites to get ISK is thru phishing and hacking accounts.

  3. Heh, that bit about Iceland's Viking Squad and the elf lobby reminded me of the show Lillyhammer. Happy 2014! ^_^

  4. The whole "elf lobby blocks road construction" is just silly. Sure there are some nuts who actually really believe in this stuff but they are a very small minority by far. But of course since it is quirky and cute the foreign press always picks it up. Most protesters of that road come from a nature conservatism corner but that isn't as good to report on.
    So 'meh' journalism all around I guess :/

  5. is the top picture what you would "a kill box"???

  6. Dear Santa, thanks for sending your lads round to our place to drop off bits and bats into my EVE online account. They did not do too much damage and I really appreciate digital goodies in my virtual socks.
    My heart warms the most for the Leopard. It's warpie fast and make the life of this R&D gad-about so much more fun. I know it's no match for your sleigh, but damn, us lab types aren’t used to such such a rush. Simply brilliant.
    Except, the little elves forgot to switch on the shuttles ISIS profile. It does not exist on the inter-bus register. Not that I'm complaining … Okay, I am a little, I want to see my fav new shuttle on the wiz-bang chart what-not.
    I've sent this note via the luminaries at the Council of Sellar Management as I don't think Amazon drones are programmed to your location yet (although I may be wrong).
    Yours, been good all year so far, q247


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.