Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Saturday, February 15, 2014

And the rock cried out, no hiding place

Kind of a quickie, but important and something I want to get out of the way since it's ~breaking news~ and all that.

A few weeks ago, I made a joking comparison between the B0TLRD Accords and Morden and Londo splitting up the galaxy on Babylon 5. If the CFC is looking to extend the analogy, they're actually doing a pretty fine job. One of my favorite episodes of Babylon 5 is a late season 3 episode, "And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place". It brings together three different stories that have been building up unbearably all season and partially resolves all three at once, using a lovely pair of scenes between Sheridan and Delenn as both character-building and exposition. It's a masterwork of screen-writing.

Sheridan explains to Delenn how Londo is going to trap and kill Lord Refa

In the news today: the CFC has learned that N3 stockpiled all of their capitals that retreated from three different regions into a single system. At the State of the Goonion today, Mittens declared the CFC's intent to hell-camp that system and capture it, essentially head-shotting N3. If the effort is successful, N3 will go from "unable to escalate with super-caps" to "unable to escalate with super-caps and capitals" giving the Goon capital fleet -- or more likely, the RUS capital fleet -- free rein to clean up the southeast.

SHERIDAN
What if they wanted to drive the refugees into one area, corral them? Make it easier to hit them all at once?

DELENN
The effect would be devastating... demoralizing.

SHERIDAN
That could be the intent.
(beat)
Maybe this is as much about terror as it is about territory.
(beat)
When we had wars back home, sometimes one side would leave a few areas of enemy territory undamaged. That way you'd get maximum results when you finally hit them with something big. Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Dresden, San Diego...

DELENN
They could be doing the same thing here, drawing in thousands of ships...
Am I saying this is what the CFC did intentionally? No, probably not... almost certainly not! But in terms of serendipity, it can't be beat. When Sheridan learned the plan of the Shadows, they were driving all ships fleeing various war fronts to the Coriana system. The Shadows intended to corral them all there and wipe them out at once. Sheridan tricked the Vorlons into showing up, then brought in the First Ones and the Army of Light to stage the final confrontation of Babylon 5's Shadow War.

This time, the shadows are falling on Coriana VI, but there's no Vorlons, no Sheridan, and no Army of Light to be found. And the rock cried out "No hiding place!", indeed...

15 comments:

  1. And this is why u retreat to npc space. This is more n3 not being to bright than cfc making some great move.you have to know u have gia agents all over your alliance. So maybe its a brilliant trap and ill eat my words but I can't see how.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This could be an N3 trap. An extremely dangerous trap for N3 should they lose. While N3 doesn't have the First Ones, the Vorlons, the Army of Light or Sheridan they might have an Ivanova or a Garibaldi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the blob blobs, Eve dies a bit more and years of complacence and stupidity on the part of CCP come back to bite them in the ass. Too bad since the cracks are showing in CFC and the rest of Eve were getting to the point of turning on their true enemy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! But if you don't do nullsec, you can always do something else! Like everyhting you haven't done because it sucks balls!

      And guess what? You shall rejoice because CCP Seagull plans to devote three years of development to build Stargates From Goonland To Future Goonland!

      And nothing could prove wrong with that, in no possible way, never ever.

      Delete
  4. And in todays news, absolutely nothing happened in sector 83 x 9 x 12. I repeat, nothing happened in sector 83 x 9 x 12....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Live from the O-W hellcamp: http://imgur.com/AXOLvgT

    The bubbles outshine the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meanwhile, in High-Sec:

    http://i.imgur.com/WeieyEn.png

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, if that means what I think it means, that is unbelievably awesome.

      Delete
    2. @Jester: it just mean Gevlon Goblin and Marmite's band of retards are RF'ing goon highsec POCOs... nothing to see here (except maybe that they'll provide goons with something to do while they wait out the timers in Nulsec)

      Delete
  7. Aw, that just makes me wanna watch B5 all over again... I really do hope WB decides to remaster the show and release a blu-ray edition like they're doing with TNG. I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And so the great EVE cancer (CFC and friends) continues to spread until they are the blue donut. I am always amused how they keep making BoB references on their enemies while they themselves became BoB 2.0 long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bab5 had tremendous writing and awesome story lines. It's too bad there's nothing new that even comes close to it. It was simply what great SF should be when done well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where you gonna run to?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbIG_b2IMO0

    Oh Sinnerman, where you gonna run to?
    Sinnerman, where you gonna run to?
    Where you gonna run to?
    All along dem day
    Well I run to the rock, please hide me
    I run to the rock,please hide me
    I run to the rock, please hide me, Lord
    All along dem day
    But the rock cried out, I can't hide you
    The rock cried out, I can't hide you
    The rock cried out, I ain't gonna hide you guy
    All along dem day
    I said, Rock, what's a matter with you rock?
    Don't you see I need you, rock?
    Lord, Lord, Lord
    All along dem day
    So I run to the river, it was bleedin'
    I run to the sea, it was bleedin'
    I run to the sea, it was bleedin'
    All along dem day
    So I run to the river, it was boilin'
    I run to the sea, it was boilin'
    I run to the sea, it was boilin'
    Along dem day
    So I run to the Lord, please hide me Lord
    Don't you see me prayin'?
    Don't you see me down here prayin'?
    But the Lord said, go to the devil
    The Lord said, go to the devil
    He said, go to the devil
    All along dem day
    So I ran to the devil, he was waitin'
    I ran to the devil, he was waitin'
    Ran to the devil, he was waitin'
    All on that day
    I cried -
    POWER!!!!!!!
    (Power to da Lord)
    [8x]
    Bring down,
    (Power to da lord),
    [4x]
    POWER!!!
    (power to da lord)
    [12x]

    (Instrumental)

    Oh yeah, Woh yeah, Woh yeah
    Well I run to the river, it was boilin'
    I run to the sea, it was boilin'
    I run to the sea, it was boilin'
    All along dem day
    So I ran to the Lord
    I said, Lord hide me, please hide me
    Please help me
    Along dem day
    He said, child, where were you
    When you oughta been prayin'?
    I said,Lord, Lord, hear me prayin'
    Lord, Lord, hear me prayin'
    Lord, Lord, hear me prayin'
    All along dem day
    Sinnerman you oughta be prayin'
    Oughta be prayin', Sinnerman
    Oughta be prayin',
    All on that day
    I cried -
    POWER!!!!!!!
    (Power to da Lord)
    [12x]
    Go down
    (Power to da Lord)
    [3x]
    POWER!!!!!!!
    (Power to da Lord)
    [3x]
    Power, Power, Lord
    Don't you know I need you Lord
    Don't you know that I need you
    Don't you know that I need you
    Power, Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Babylon 5... ah you have to love that show... :-)

    Well, yes. As I have just written a comment on your other blog entry. This is turning into a turkey-shoot for the CFC and the sooner someone at CCP pulls the plug, the better off we all will be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is exactly the scene I thought of when Mittens announced this plan. You read my mind. Or we have the same viewing habits.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.