Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Friday, February 28, 2014

February junk drawer

Welcome to the junk drawer, part of a series of monthly posts in which I dump all the stuff that I couldn't develop into full blog posts this past month. The junk drawer is again pretty light; most things, I turned into full length posts...


As always, let's do some quickie graphics and the like first.

This... just made me laugh. Short, sweet, to the point.

Wilhelm Arcturus over at The Ancient Gaming Noob is having a screen shot contest, "Show me the planets." It's a fun idea with some really cool prizes! If you want to enter, you have until 2000 EVE time on March 1, about thirteen hours from the time this post is being published.

I don't want to win -- and told Wilhelm so -- but the contest itself was so intriguing to me that I decided to enter a few favorite screen shots of my own. The first one, I really really like. I can't even remember where I took it any more.

This is in Jove space during one of the SCLs and that's CCP Fozzie in the foreground in the new dev ship:

And of course no discussion of planetary screen-shots would be complete without D85-VD planet VI:

EVE Online really is a beautiful game.

This one's kinda fun:

Finally, this website about the B-R battle isn't exactly a graphic but it's really really cool. Go check it out.


And a few quickies, one per paragraph...

I passed an interesting milestone this month. Five days ago, I passed three months training four characters in Level V skills, one Level V skill after another, for three months straight across all four characters. But the streak ends in four days, when one of my alts starts training a lot of gun specialization skills from Level I to Level IV.

This is an older site for planetary interaction, but I really like how it's laid out! It's got a really clean, intuitive user interface. You can start from planet types you have access to, systems you have access to, or materials you have on hand. In short, everything you need for PI, nothing you don't. I guess it's been up for almost four years now. Hopefully it will stay up because it's become my go-to PI site.

There's a lot of new players in New Eden lately, so this is for all of you. Scamming is one of the most common get-rich-quick career choices in EVE Online. And lots and lots of scammers love to target new players. Courtesy of EVE University, here's a list of the most common scams. Speaking of which, if you're still looking for a corp to join, you can do way worse than E-UNI as a starting player while you get your feet underneath you. I highly recommend them!

In the meantime, though, as a new player you'll have to decide what side of scamming you're on. Just as a lot of scammers like to prey on new players, a lot of new players decide they want to join the ranks of the scammers... ;-)


And that's all for the junk drawer this month. As I said, another unusually quiet one!


  1. Come on mate, "the fresh meat for the grinder" deserve better than the last para of a junk draw blog. At least list all the nwb aligned posts you've done in the past.
    Hey new guys, Jaster may be a bit battered, burned and bitter, but take a good long look. EVE online has made him the man he is today.

    1. You know, that's an excellent idea, sort of a top ten posts for new players.

      I think I'll do that.

  2. Actually that might sound a bit harsh now that I think on it.
    I guess this is a good time to genuinely thank you for your civic virtue.
    The personal losses in politics are in some ways more debilitating than physical injury.
    I personally think you've served a fine tour of duty and deserve a medal for dealing with the all shit-storms.
    Only a mad overlord would volunteer for the front lines again.

  3. Thanks for the nice mention of Eve University.

  4. I keep meaning to bitch about this, but videos posted here never show up on the ipad... I hate it when stuff I read isn't mobile friendly...


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.