Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Fit of the Week: Rubicon Heretic

I've never actually done a Heretic fit here because before Rubicon, they were kind of a joke. The best Heretic fit that I'd seen was actually shield fit. Most of that was because trying to repair an interdictor before Rubicon was mostly an exercise in futility. In most fleet comps, the dictor was simply too thin to be an effective rep target, its primary defense without sufficient EHP or decent resists. As a result, armor-tanking dictors were rare. Since ship speed in a tackling role is at a premium, in most cases, you'd shield-nano most or all of your dictors.

In Rubicon this has changed and thanks to their new role bonus and ship adjustments here and there, there are some armor dictor fits that are quite viable for both small gang and larger gang PvP. Here's one:

[Heretic, Heavy tank small gang]
Pseudoelectron Containment Field I
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
400mm Reinforced Steel Plates II

Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I
1MN Afterburner II

Interdiction Sphere Launcher I, Warp Disrupt Probe
Prototype Cloaking Device I
[empty high slot]
125mm Gatling AutoCannon II, Barrage S
125mm Gatling AutoCannon II, Barrage S
125mm Gatling AutoCannon II, Barrage S
[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]

Small Anti-Thermic Pump I
Small Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer I


The core of this fit is the ability to stand up under armor reps. Average resists are in the low 70s and there's 2400 armor HP to work with. That gives this ship 12.5k EHP before armor links: not too shabby! I've survived a pretty impressive amount of punishment in this boat, particularly since most people will throw Warriors or Valkyries at you and your resistance to this type of damage starts in the low 80s. The MWD signature bonus helps but what helps even more is a solid dual-prop: on AB, you've got 900m/s of speed which will mitigate a lot of damage, even if you get webbed.

Under MWD, your speed starts at 2000m/s but this is a ship that definitely benefits from a lot of overheating of that MWD when you need it, pushing your speed up to a more respectable 2800m/s or so. Use overheating a lot on the MWD because your role as a tackler is the most important thing you're doing. You give up a good bit of speed to shield-based dictors and you have to be able to wrap your buble around the target quickly. As with last week's Sabre, I've put a scram in the utility mid, but you can replace it with a web if you like. If you go with a meta4 web, you can peel off a gun and then fit a DC2 to increase tank.

Your guns are kind of superfluous, I'm afraid, maxing out at around 75 DPS before heat. You've got plenty of high slots so feel free to spread them out and then overheat them to 85 DPS. Against pretty much any ship, this is not very much, but it will allow you to get on the occasional kill-mail. They're mostly there to clear drones off you if you get a cloud of them.

The fit wraps up with a warp speed rig to allow you to cross space more quickly and a utility cloak. As I said about these choices last week...
Reaching a tackle target quickly is important... and this dictor's 6.6AU/s warp speed will outrun all but the very fastest targets and most of those are bubble immune anyway... I find a cloak invaluable for dictors: it just adds so many options. From sitting undetected on gates to hiding out during a bigger engagement that you can't survive to straight-on ambush, I can't think of a single situation where I regretted having a cloak along.
And those statements apply equally well to this Heretic. You can also read the last couple of paragraphs of last week's post for tips on dictor piloting.

The Heretic is arguably the best dictor in the game right now and is unquestionably the best large fleet dictor. It's quite tough, has a lot of utility options, and can even be refit to an all light-missile fitting that does very impressive long-range damage! I'll be interested to see if we see some of them at the NEO and in the Alliance Tournament this year.

Bubble up!


All Fits of the Week are intended as general guidelines only.  You may not have the skills needed for this exact fit.  If you do not, feel free to adjust the fit to suit to meet your skills, including using meta 3 guns and "best named" defenses and e-war.  Ships can also be adjusted to use faction or dead-space modules depending on the budget of the pilot flying it.  Each FOTW is intended as a general guide to introduce you to concepts that will help you fit and to fly that particular type of ship more aggressively and well.

3 comments:

  1. Love to see the light missile fit as well, as chance of appending it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A post about the heretic without the lml fit?

    LML Heretic is one of the best small-scale-PvP ships out there atm.
    Basically it's the replacement for the RLML Caracal.

    http://c4mel.eve-kill.net/?a=kill_related&kll_id=21163259
    http://mief.eve-kill.net/?a=kill_related&kll_id=21763196

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fitting is a pig for Light Missile Launchers.

    Best I managed to put together is below but I fit my Heretic with rockets for dps. I find myself flying in tiny gangs more often than large fleets and find the extra dps out to scram range handy.

    [Heretic, 55km missiles]
    400mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
    Adaptive Nano Plating II
    Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II

    Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I
    Initiated Harmonic Warp Scrambler I
    Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron

    Interdiction Sphere Launcher I, Warp Disrupt Probe
    Prototype Cloaking Device I
    Upgraded 'Malkuth' Light Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Inferno Light Missile
    Upgraded 'Malkuth' Light Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Inferno Light Missile
    Upgraded 'Malkuth' Light Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Inferno Light Missile
    Upgraded 'Malkuth' Light Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Inferno Light Missile
    Upgraded 'Malkuth' Light Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Inferno Light Missile
    Upgraded 'Malkuth' Light Missile Launcher, Caldari Navy Inferno Light Missile

    Small Processor Overclocking Unit I
    Small Ancillary Current Router I

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.