Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

CSM8 Status Report: Week forty-five

Things continue to be pretty quiet and steady on the CSM front.

These updates are about what CSM members are doing and right now, a lot of CSM8 members are campaigning for CSM9. ;-) The Nosy Gamer has done a good job of consolidating a number of CSM9 campaign interviews and blog entries. The evepodcasts.com list of CSM9 interviews continues to be updated as well, including a wormhole candidate CSM meeting. At that meeting, James Arget expressed doubt that he'd keep his campaign going but then informed me (and everyone else) that was a momentary weakness and he's actively campaigning again. I can hardly blame him for this moment of doubt. ;-) In particular, the Cap Stable pod-cast continues to be the gold standard for CSM9 candidate interviews this year. Go check it out!

Finally, Dierdra Vaal's Vote Match system is going to be running again this year, this time at http://eve-csm.com/.

Ali Aras continues to do her Space Hangouts with one this past Saturday, and as I've already announced, CSM8 will be doing our fifth Town Hall of the term this coming Sunday:
Sunday, 23 March at 1900 EVE time
Details and instructions are in the thread on the EVE-O forums, and you can continue to submit questions either on that thread or to me in EVE mail. I'll collect as many of those questions as I can for the actual event.

I continue to list the CSM members that have publicly announced their candidacy at my annual post on that matter. You're going to find there that CSM member Korvin still hasn't announced in public one way or another. The reason for this, I'm told, is a bit of a protest going on among the Russian EVE community with regard to localization. I cannot claim to be an expert on their concerns and I'm not going to try to be. Here's one of the relevant EVE-O threads on the matter. I tried to pick through it as best I could with Google Translate. Those of you who actually speak Russian can read the thread. If anyone wants to explain the issues in comments, please go for it! But I'm told this protest is the reason why there are no publicly announced Russian candidates this year.

I noted with interest that we're running somewhat behind last year's election cycle schedule. CCP Dolan said this past weekend during the second NEO that the election process would be announced "early this week." That didn't happen, but it should happen "late this week." ;-) Fanfest is a week later than it was last year and there are other reasons why the protracted election schedule from last year won't be necessary this year. I'll let Dolan explain. But I'd say we're about a week or ten days behind where we should be there. It'll work out in the end, though. Last year, there was a ten day gap between the end of the election and the announcement of the results. I remember that ten days being pretty long last year...

That leads me to the subject of the Winter Summit Minutes, which I also thought were going to be released this week. They still may be: we're told by they're in final approval now. We originally conceived our write-up of the Minutes for this session as being released in two batches. One was to contain the more generalized sessions that either did not involve the upcoming summer expansion or those features that have already been announced for it. The second would be released after CCP announced the theme for the summer expansion in earnest. But now we're told the Minutes are going to be released in one big blast which may mean that pieces of the Minutes here and there pre-announce things you're going to see come summer... We'll see.

We had our regularly scheduled stake-holder meeting last week, which I was able to attend and went really well, but which is of course NDA'ed. That said, the CSM did ask a lot of questions about our favorite new feature, ship skins, and got those questions answered. I continue to be really upbeat about this feature and I hope all of you out there will continue to support it!

The Skype channel continues to be very quiet with CCP devs heads down on their charters for summer. Again, I expect that we'll start seeing some really interesting announcements about the theme for this expansion coming out any day now. Likewise, the private section of the forums has also settled down and there were no new threads in there this week. However, it's worth noting that CSM member mynnna has been really active chatting with devs this week on a variety of topics and really driving some interesting discussion. So you Goons out there should continue to give him your support in the upcoming election because he's done some terrific work this year.

Finally, one item that I don't think I've ever mentioned in one of these updates: the CSM and the CPM (Council of Planetary Management, our DUST 514 counterparts) have a private channel in which we keep each other up-to-date on things going on in our respective worlds. I mention it here because it's one more thing that a potential CSM member needs to keep track of and allocate some time to. There continues to be a lot of interlinking between the two games so it's very useful for the total group of player reps to keep the communication lines open.

And that's all I can think of for this week! Six weeks to Fanfest! See you at the Town Hall this weekend!

25 comments:

  1. About ship skins: "I continue to be really upbeat about this feature and I hope all of you out there will continue to support it!"
    Lol, please. 2$ for a destructible ship-skin? And thats a higher price in other currencies like €.
    It makes PLEX prices increase, thus harder for people to pay with isk for their subscription, the cost is WAY OVERPRICED, it is a missed opportunity to make some LP stores useful...
    Customization is a good idea but they didn't have to milk the players to do that!
    Especially considering that they *already* have tons and tons of skins for every ship in their databases. Apart from this "paint slot" they might add in the fitting window, there is no dev time required... How can you even support that were are told to pay for this? A static, rigid, pre-defined paint job... disgusting :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just buy and destroy lots of the comets (bought through LP stores). Show them there is a huge demand for skins but no demand for RL money skins.

      Delete
    2. I DO agree with you that there needs to be customizable skins and I've said as much. CCP will decide whether to do that work based on player enthusiasm for the pilot. They've said as much. ;-)

      I've also expressed my opinion that the current ship skins are slightly too expensive... not grossly so, but yeah, they're too expensive. That said, a buck or two is not at all unreasonable for skinning a durable ship that's going to be around a while.

      Delete
    3. I have a Megathron Navy Issue I use for high sec missions when the mood strikes me. I *might* swap to a Rohk because skin. Yes, one of the deciding factors in what I buy and use is "Is it pretty?" ^^

      That being said... I would never use any of the other Aurum skins, because every other ship I fly (OK, except for the haulers) is bought with the eventual end goal of PvP and possible destruction, and the current prices are too high for temporary things like that.

      I did pick up three comets, though, and already had a PPC v PPC duel in one. :D

      Delete
  2. Sorry to break it to you Jester but the "paint skins feature" is fail. Apart from the absurd pricing as noted by the poster above, the 'feature' adds to the litany of poor design choices which we all must suffer under.

    Time to stand and do it right or not at all. Otherwise, its very unlikely there will be another 10-year anniversary in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said above, this is a pilot intended to measure player enthusiasm. If you're enthusiastic about the feature but not the implementation, SAY SO in the thread. There's ZERO point to CCP putting in the thousands of programmer- and artist-hours needed for this feature if there's no enthusiasm for it.

      Delete
    2. How enthused are the server and client software going to be keeping track of all these extra skins? Not so much, I'd guess. That's probably what's got them really concerned and the reason for the "go slow" approach.

      Delete
    3. CCP karkur has disclosed that the next focus of her UI improvement would be the industry UI, FWIW.

      Hallelujah!

      Delete
    4. Sorry, the above comment was intended to be a reply to Anonymous @ March 19, 2014 at 2:36 AM, below.

      Delete
    5. Yes Jester, I am very enthusiastic about a custom 'skins' feature. However, I expect a professional game developer to design and implement said feature far above what is presently offered.

      Quite frankly its embarrassing to CCP .. no excuses.

      Now it may be that the product team has no clue what features should be added to the product (which I highly doubt) or what features are more important than others (again major doubts) .. to which I say there are far better ways to 'get a clue' than offering up this tripe.

      And as my final thought to you Jester .. I remain confused how the technical management even allowed a discussion along the lines of the current feature implementation knowing that said implementation would continue to pile on more 'technical debt' that would need to be addressed again in the future.

      Delete
    6. Again: the idea here was to throw a few dozen hours at the problem -- mostly artist hours -- then see if players responded favorably to it in numbers sufficient to commit several THOUSAND hours to the larger effort.

      Every single development plan in EVE has to be measured against what else can be done with the same amount of time. And this one is very risky: it's thousands of hours of programmer and artist time for a feature that may not generate any kind of return.

      A pilot program here was perfectly justified.

      Delete
  3. Beside the NDA, can Miners or Industrialists expect something very exciting from the summerexpansion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would tell you but the answer is NDA :-p

      Delete
  4. I wonder if any CSM candidate has ever run under the platform of 'corporate infrastructure' needs attention after 10+ years of neglect ever since beta

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned a useful Russian phrase from that thread.

    "Не нравиться Ева - удали Еву,"

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mynnna doing good work...for who? He is only interested in furthering his own income and that of the goons, at the expense of the rest of the Eve sub base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you got asource on that? Loose Goons, a factual documentary?

      Delete
    2. Of course he didn't. It's just his usual sour mumbling all over again. Ignore him.

      Delete
    3. He *is* speaking on behalf of the large coalitions, that is true. But that's also what he was elected to do, and that base of players does deserve to have an equal voice.

      Delete
    4. this is mynnna's responses

      syphons: "a individual should not be able to shut down a system"

      afk cloaking: renters report to mynnna that an individual had shut down their system. mynnna: htfu

      one is traditional goon income, one is back hand from a slumlord. spot the difference.

      Delete
  8. Hmmm.... looks like my April 1 prediction for the release of the minutes may have been too optomistic. I'm changing my Release Date prediction to May 1.

    Only CCP could have the CSM summit-minutes-release turn into a fiasco for years on end, hire an actual freaking stenographer to help speed things up, and get a SLOWER process in the end. Un-freaking believable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, the summer minutes aren't out completely (missing Dust parts) if my memory serves me right...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't forgotten about that.

      Delete
    2. I fear that they're waiting for CCP Rouge to come out of the closet, which I fear will happen in May at Fanfest. The last we heard from him was in October...

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.