Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Monday, March 31, 2014

CSM8 Status Report: Week forty-seven

OK, this week's delay in the Minutes is all my fault. I'll take the hit for this week. Not all the other weeks, though. And it certainly hasn't stopped us from pestering CCP Dolan about them pretty much daily. To my knowledge, CSM8 has no responsibilities on this right now; we're 100% waiting for the mail from CCP. Ali Aras is taking the lead on this, though several of us have been chipping in on a more or less constant basis. For those of you wanting the Minutes out before the election starts: very much yes, us too! As I said a couple of weeks back, I expected them to be out before the Town Hall.

Speaking of Town Hall #5, if you missed it, EVE Radio now has their recording up. Thanks to the guys at EVE Radio and particularly DJ Wiggles for hosting this!

In addition to my Cap Stable interview this past week, I also did an interview with the Legacy of a Capsuleer pod-cast. It covers a lot of the same ground as the first interview, but also goes into my own history playing EVE, a history of the blog, the kinds of blog posts I write, et cetera. If you've been reading here for a while, it's pretty much all stuff you already know. It's currently top left on their site, though here's the direct link if you'd like it.

I'd also like to point again at the excellent CSM9 candidate interviews being done by both of these pod-casts. Legacy posts theirs on their front page. Cap Stable still has the dedicated CSM9 interview page. I'm a fan of the second format if for no other reason than it shows who has submitted to interviews and who hasn't. Thanks again to both of these pod-casts for providing this important service! One other CSM9 candidate note: progodlegend has declared his candidacy after previously stating that he wasn't going to run. So that's six CSM8 members running for reelection.

Korvin has told me repeatedly that he isn't running (but hasn't posted it in public anywhere that I can link to). Sort Dragon and Kesper North are staying quiet about it, so I guess they're not running. The official candidate list should be out before the end of the week. Once it is, I'll be talking about my own endorsements, then who I think is going to win.

Mike Azariah did an interview this week outside of his CSM9 campaign on Podside. Feel free to give it a listen; I need to listen to this one myself. Mike also did a shorter interview on EVE Radio, this one more focused on the Oculus sale to Facebook.

The status of the various communications methods with CCP could be a repeat of the last few weeks: Skype is quiet, the forums are busy! In particular, we got a nice mix this week of really practical summer release dev-blog stuff (some of it coming very soon) and a bit more theoretical design stuff also intended for summer. So there was something for every CSM member to talk about... I'll state again that we've had really nice access this past year to not only the Q&A sort of "should we do X or Y?" questions, but also much more design-related questions to which I don't think previous CSMs have had access. It's really terrific from a CCP communications stand-point! But also more work...

Speaking of more work, we had our twice-a-month stake-holder meeting this last week, and it was both quite long and quite involved. Again, there's nothing that I can share except that the summer release features are coming along great, there's more and more of them being added to the pile, and I think players will be pretty happy with what they see. In particular, there was a lot of discussion about various wormhole-related items including that thread that CCP Fozzie posted. I'm going to keep my mouth shut on specifics; I think two things that came out of this discussion are now public but I can't be 100% sure so I'm not going to mention them. Mention them in comments if you know about them. ;-) James Arget has been taking the lead on these items.

And... that's all I can think of. I feel like I'm forgetting something but if I am I'll put it in next week's update. Heading down the home stretch now! Five weeks to Fanfest!

25 comments:

  1. "And... that's all I can think of. I feel like I'm forgetting something but if I am I'll put it in next week's update."

    Your next witch-hunt maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw diddums. Did the "might is right" crowd finally get their conch taken away by CCP and this is the best you can come up with. You are as pathetic as E1....... All I can say is suffer in your jocks you dickhead

      Delete
    2. spoken like a 'TRUE' cyberbully ;)

      Delete
    3. I normally don't read witch trials, but when I do, I read Miner Bumping.

      Delete
  2. Trolls and fiends beaten at their own game. Whine much?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How will the sandbox ever survive if people can't take gameplay outside the sandbox by exploiting in-game scams and people's psychological weakness!?!

    Here's a clue - it's a sand BOX - you can't go outside the walls. It's also not a LITTER box; there's no unlimited right to take a shit in it. CCP would be smart to ban a few more people just to make an example for arguing asinine bullshit like "but he didn't break any roolz!".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh ppl have invested heavily in outside the game software that specifically preys upon people's psychological weaknesses .. its called SomerBLINK

      Delete
  4. So when does the next hammerblow come down on high sec? When does CCP announce the wrecking of high sec mfg slots, that you and the rest of the null sec crowd are drooling and high-fiving over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure all of those changes come out this summer. There will be massive hikes in the fees to manufacture and invent in NPC stations. All invention may leave high sec as well. You know we have to reward those people in null sec who just don't have opportunities to make ISK.

      Delete
    2. A Dinsdale post without mentioning the word "cartels" ? What have you done with Dinsdale!?!

      Delete
    3. Bah, only 2/5 on my Dinsdale bingo card :(

      Delete
    4. Oh sorry, I was wrong, The next hammer blow that came down was directed at drone users, with yet another nerf to new drone pilots (guys flying the Algos and Vexor are going to be thrilled with the skill changes, just thrilled), plus we older drone users are doing cartwheels over the T2 sentry drone nerfs and massive skill training time increase.

      raivi has yet to find a drone system he doesn't hate.

      And the Nyx pilots are just having a blast reprocessing their ships for minerals to make Aeon's.

      Pure genius raivi, pure genius.

      And Jester, and the rest of the clowns, just sat there while this train wreck happened.

      Delete
    5. Bwa?

      Maybe I was reading a different devblog, but it looked like the drone changes were pretty much a push for heavily-skilled drone users like myself, and actually rather a nice buff for less-experienced drone users. Yeah, T2 sentries are losing some of their damage bonus, but that's supposed to be relative to an increased T1 sentry baseline, which looks like a push to me.

      Delete
    6. Dinsdale is referring to the split of Scout Drone Operation into two skills, Light and Medium Drone Operation, and running off the presumption that they'll be x2 skills the way Scout Drone Operation is, doubling the effective training time for new players.

      If it's true that the new skills retain the training time of the original skill, then yes, it'll be an additional pain point for new players. Whether it's enough of a pain to offset the highly welcome and entirely newbie-friendly overhaul of Drone Interfacing is another question.

      Delete
    7. Er, I meant Combat Drone Operation. Yeah.

      Delete
  5. Jester .. I'm trying to see the value in reporting your activities on the CSM when its 90% "I can't really share anything but its going great!" .. it always gives me a wtf? expression and you would think I'd be used to it by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that's quite fair. Some players have been asking about the minutes, he's given the update on them and who is most actively pursuing the issue.

      Some stuff about his recent activity (which... if you didn't care about, why are you reading this blog?).

      A reference to CSM9 campaign stuff, followed by describing the CSM/CCP relationship.

      It's true that it's light on details of the changes... but that's arguably a _good_ thing. CCPs process has moved away from "throw features at the CSM and see what sticks" and more towards "throw features at the forums and see what sucks", and trying to get the CSM involved in earlier "direction"-type design work. I have to admit that I found the explicit reference to 'wormholes' confusing, as it's likely to lead to overly optimistic expectations.

      Delete
    2. I talk about as much as I can talk about. I promised when I started these updates that I would do that, even though sometimes I'd only be able to say "NDA NDA NDA, but players should be [concerned or not]".

      The alternative is saying nothing at all. Which do you prefer?

      Delete
    3. I appreciate the good job you're doing providing weekly updates about CSM activities. Even if the status of something doesn't change from week to week, it's still useful to watch the trend. :) Thanks, Jester.

      Delete
  6. It's NOT your fault. The damn minutes should have been out a long time ago. CCP is simply using the current situation as an EXCUSE for their continued ineptness. Only CCP could hire a professional stenographer to speed the publication of a meeting's transcript and, as a result, arrive at a process that's even SLOWER than it was before. So don't flatter yourself too much, Jester, you're certainly not the reason for yet more delay on the minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol I hope the wh changes we are supposed to be happy about isn't fozzies post from last week where he confirms he would like to nerf probes and pretty much give wh space to large alliances. Yeah the wh carebear community is thrilled....heres all this stuff to make mining in wh profitable oh btw they got enuf time to gank a mining fleet and get back home b4 u can even see their k162 with probes now. GG

    ReplyDelete
  8. What comes first, the winter summit minutes or the dev blogs? I know it's a play on the old chicken & egg dilemma and I'm trying to be kind to CCP here. Do we want minutes which are littered with NDA'd sections or can we wait a few weeks till fanfest for full minutes disclosure? If CCP Dolan would just come out and say they are aiming for the latter then I'd be content to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear CSM9

    Please do not bother with any summit minutes as they contain very little relevant information by the time the players get to read them. Please spend your time engaging with the community instead.

    Regards,
    Lot of EvE players.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damnit man, you missed the opportunity to post spoof minutes today. Maybe you need a drone assist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a huge joke: http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/04/01/eve-online-plans-drone-renaissance/

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.