Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

CSM8 Status Report: Week forty-six

I'm behind on my regularly scheduled posting, so let's catch up. But I'll keep this fairly short because honestly there isn't a whole lot new to say.

No Winter Summit Minutes yet. Go back and read what I said about them last week. It still applies. Ali Aras continues to push this near-daily. What we're waiting for, I really have no idea at this point. Yes, I'm frustrated. Everyone on the CSM is. We got our work done on them lightning quick this time. Doesn't seem to have helped.

That said, CCP Dolan did keep his promise to publish the dev blog about the CSM9 election process, so that's now in play. There are several bits of excellent news here: the STV system from last year is being used again, minus the pointless "pre-election" process that was stapled onto it last year. That's going to result in a much expedited election process which means that we're back on schedule. We're in the official candidate application period now, so if you'd like to run, now's the time to follow the process to kick that off.

The official candidate's list gets published on April 3. Soon after, I will publish my now-traditional three blog posts regarding the list: who I endorse and why, who I think will win, and who I think won't win and why. As with last year, I'll be publishing a list of 14 candidates that I hope you will vote for... even if I'm not among them. ;-)

CSM8 had our fifth scheduled Town Hall this past weekend. I thought it went very well! The number of CSM members there was a bit fewer than I would have liked -- several had to bow out at the last minute. Still, we had a good group and a large number of participants who asked some great questions. And I've just realized I completely forgot to ask about a recording. I'll do that this week and see if someone has one. No less than three different people commented to me that several of us sounded tired. And thinking about it, I think that's a fair comment. It's been a long term... productive as hell, but long.

Speaking of that, we got a couple of big homework assignments on the private section of the forums this past week. Both of them are complex, fiddly as hell, and about as :nda: as you can get. But CCP continues to impress me with their increasing willingness to get the CSM involved in the nuts-and-bolts design phase for major game features. Both of these topics were right down to the bare metal of rough ideas intended for future EVE releases. Hopefully this is a trend that will continue with our successors, because it's nothing but positive!

As has been the trend for the last few weeks, Skype is actually pretty quiet. Casual conversations, a few one-off serious questions, and the last few days, a lot of discussion about CCP Fozzie's w-space signature delay proposal. You may have missed it because he posted it to the Wormhole section of the forums instead of Features and Ideas. That said, I'm staying completely out of that one. I recognize I don't know enough about wormholes any more to offer much in the way of intelligent commentary on the proposal. But if you want to get involved in that discussion, please do!

And that's about all I can think of for now. More next week!

14 comments:

  1. I'm not angry about it, but I do wonder if the consequence of "addressing the elephant in the room" is detrimental to CCP as a whole. I don't play the game anymore, not over this mind you, but I do like to think that the devs are good, honest folks. I hope that this doesn't snowball from "hey, it's an issue we have to address" to "holy shit, people will lose their jobs because of this."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is telling is that there are SEVERAL elephants in the room and what you said could be applied to any of them...

      My favorite one is the stagnating PCU and how the development plans announced for the next years don't deal with it and its causes, which can be traced to a deadly root: the pool of potential new EVE players is shrinking at a increasing rate.

      Delete
  2. So next week whenever you post your CSM8 Status Report and you say, "There was a noticeable uptick in forum activity this week.", should we conclude that's code for, "CCP is dealing with the Erotica1 thing, are very cross with me, and any or all questions they have about my parentage is absolutely NDA."?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already joked on Twitter that I started the Erotica 1 thing so that my good buddy CCP Dolan can blame me for the Minutes delay.

      Delete
  3. Oh please...Nuts and bolts design. The goons the rest of their acolytes design the changes in the game, and the rest of you add the paint job. That has become more and more clear with every passing change, which buffs the income streams of the null sec cartel leadership at the expense of all the other playstyles.

    I have no idea what percentage of the dev's are in the pocket of the goons, but it is sizable, and they are key people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to become that paranoid, how much weed have you been smoking and for how long?

      Delete
    2. I'm suprised you haven't figured it out: Dinsdale is a Goon black propoganda agent.

      It's his job to make goon detractors look like slightly unstable conspiracy theorists.

      Delete
  4. I've heard quite a few of the CSM 8 members state that what they've seen for the summer expansions (and beyond) makes them very excited. I'm excited to see what's gotten you all excited, and luckily the summer expansion isn't that far away now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No mention of the upcoming changes to reprocessing? Yet another WTF change to the game to benefit null sec only, at the expense of f**king up the rest of the game?

    And, one which pretty much kills T1 module manufacturing for good, btw. The price of meta modules dropped by NPC is controlled by their reprocessing value - the lower the reprocessing value, the cheaper the meta modules on the market. The lower the price of the meta modules, less reason to build/buy T1 modules (which already cost more to build than metas sell for on the market).

    And, what ever happened to that idiot economist that CCP put on their payroll?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're wrong on the account that the change harms hisec to favor nullsec. Yet you're right in impling that favoring nullsec is not what the game needs.

      Delete
    2. T1 manufacturing in general is just about dead, and I'm not sure what would resurrect it.

      The last time I decided to make the other four Bursts on my free BPC on a whim, I had to buy Mexallon to do the job. The Mexallon alone cost about 10% more than the whole ship was selling for. I didn't bother.

      I'm really not sure how you untangle that mess, whether you have an economist or not.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, the reprocessing changes are truly a joke, as if null sec really needs yet another major buff to mining, after the last round of asteroid and ice changes.

      Besides, it was never intended that null sec be completely self-sufficient from high sec, but too many of the current CCP devs are ex-null players, and have no actual experience in game design.

      I guess that real game designers cost too much....

      Delete
  6. I know that when you refer to "bare metal" you're indicating how early CCP is into the process when they let you guys in, but given that they're leading off with a change to refining--refining!--I can't help but read it as a double-entendre that indicates that they're going to make changes to some really old baseline game mechanics... like, say, refining.

    It seems like they've gotten a lot better about realizing that even small changes can have huge reverberations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting politically elected CSM members into the nuts and bolts of game design is a BAD thing!

      I am deeply concerned for the future of this game :(

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.