Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Picture of the Week: Is it hot in here?

Just to enrage the "This! Is! An! EVE Blog!" crowd of commenters still further, POTW honors goes to this screen shot I took in KSP:


Kerbal Space Program has just as gorgeous internet spaceships as EVE does, in its own way. The picture is inspired by one of my regular KSP commenters who bemoaned the fact that I hadn't bought the nuclear engine yet. So I bought one, fitted out one of my Pathfinder series probes with it, and sent it on the hardest mission I could think of: ultra-close examination of the sun.

And the engine performed the mission beautifully, handling my first attempt at a gravity assist with ease and getting me into a super close orbit with no trouble at all (including a 1.5 million km peri at one point). Check out that freakin' orbital velocity! Insane. As a bonus, the mission brought in 255 science so the engine nearly paid for itself in one mission. This engine is definitely going to be the centerpiece of my Jool mission. Thanks for the tip!

11 comments:

  1. Keep stirring up the haters. I enjoy the variety. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somebody wants to keep your blog on track, and suddenly he is a "hater". Are not people allowed to have different views.
    Really, this is a example of the extremism in EVE that you have complained about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Jester's ramblings about EVE Online, MMOs, gaming, geek philosophy, and -- very occasionally -- life."

      What's off track?

      You want an all-EVE blog? Start one.

      Delete
  3. "keep your blog on track". The key word in that sentence is "YOUR". This is Jester's blog. If he wants to talk about origami, it's up to him. Noone is forcing you to come and read, and if you come and don't like a post, just wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to know if its physics simulation extends to solar heat. Does that satellite start getting /really/ warm at periapsis?

    Thanks for giving me lots of ideas to try the next time I fire up KSP. After an initial weekend of enthusiasm, I've let it fall by the wayside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heat and pressure are not simulated in general yet, I don't think.

      Delete
  5. Not in stock. Some mods (like KSP Interstellar) add waste heat as a resource you need to radiate away. In that mod it's currently only generated by power sources, though, so if you retract your solar panels when you're near the sun you aren't generating any heat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, I'd like a heat shield to be added as a stock part, and for entry into planetary atmospheres to be realistic. Such that if you don't use a heat shield and face it the correct direction, your ship vaporizes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jester, I enjoy the variety of your posts and I don't mind you changing the topic once in a while. Like others said, your blog, your rules. May I offer a suggestion however: Just like TMC has a number of games/genres that it covers, it is possible to only look at the Eve related postings by clicking a button. Is that an option for your site?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EVE posts get an "EVE Online" tag at the bottom, click that to see only posts with that tag.

      Delete
  8. If you decide to start messing around with mods, I recommend KSP Interstellar.

    http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43839

    Adds a bunch of neat stuff, including some wacky speculative technologies at the end of the tree. Also, impact probes! You can get science by crashing things!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.