Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Friday, March 21, 2014

POTW: Art direction

The Mittani makes his debut in the Dark Horse EVE: True Stories #3 released this week. Have to admit it made me laugh a little. The direction to the artist seems to have been: "Give him a goatee. Make him look smug."


Mission accomplished. ;-)

That said, the "True Stories" seem to be delving further and further into "based on a true story" territory...

13 comments:

  1. I don't think you can really blame them for that though... The director pushed the mythical disband button and all alliance territory immediately got disowned doesn't make for a good comic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps the artist also happened across Mord Fiddle's description of the capsuleer in question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought i read somewhere that it IS based on a true story, not that they are heading that way, but that was the plan all along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. To adapt my favourite line from the Heath Ledger film A Knights Tale
    "I'm a[n artist], I give the truth scope!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kind of favor the frame of him saying, "Dumbass." I'll be disappointed if that isn't a standard go-to graphic on Kugu soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For reference, here's the frame in question: http://gyazo.com/650d299fcbfbcfc8a8ed9009c3fc3ed6

      Delete
  6. You had to know it was an unreliable narrator once you read about BoB being a premiere mining alliance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way they're straddling EVE culture and traditional stories. It's almost more a story of what EVE players like to imagine themselves as and what happens, than a telling of what did happen.

    This isn't mittens first appearance though, he appeared a lot in the last one but the artist was incredibly inconsistent, he was totally chinese in half of them =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. What? The Mittani appeared in three panels in Issue #2.

    http://i.imgur.com/eboSWnc.png

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But that was "a jump clone." :eyeroll:

      Delete
    2. You didn't read issue #2 very well. The "jump clone" sitting at the table (and who it seems dies) was Ixes. The Mittani announced this as he entered scene. Same hair, same goatee, same jacket as The Mittani in issue #3.

      Or it's just a really poorly written comic book.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.