Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

CSM8 Status Report: Week fifty-two

Again, I'm going to keep this really short.

No final stake-holder meeting with Team Five-Oh this week. It was an Icelandic holiday on the regular day and the devs have been really busy getting Fanfest stuff together, so this was not at all surprising. A couple of devs, bless them, apparently realized this was their last chance to get another set of eyes on changes they were going to announce. So there were a lot of little threads in the private section of the EVE-O forums. CCP Fozzie in particular threw a bunch of last minute stuff at us (including this, for instance).

All I can say is keep a pretty close eye on the Features and Ideas section of the forum this week! It's likely to be busy (for the obvious reasons)!

The final CSM8 Town Hall went just fine. I expect there will be a recording of it up in a few days at the usual place. There were fewer questions this time so this gave a lot of CSM members the opportunity to wax a little philosophical about the topics that did come up. My thanks to DJ Wiggles of EVE Radio and Turhan Bey of EVE University for their logistical support!

The bulk of the CSM (including myself) were traveling today or will be traveling as I publish this. So those of you coming to Iceland will be able to meet a super-majority of us. ;-) CCP pays for seven CSM members to attend and CCP Dolan worked miracles to help those not chosen to also be able to afford to come as well. As a result, this year might be a record year for the number of CSM members in attendance! Kind of a nice final note on CSM8 and nicely parallels how active and involved we've been with CCP.

As I write this, CSM8 has four days left in its term, followed by a transition period where we will be working side-by-side with CSM9 and answering any questions they have. That said, I fully expect at least three and maybe as many as six CSM8 members to be on CSM9. So there's every reason to suspect that the transition period is going to be quite short.

So, chances are that the week fifty-three update will be my last weekly CSM update. I will then do a final wrap-up post about my impressions of having been on the CSM over the course of the last year.

18 comments:

  1. So you have no comment what so ever about the proposed waste-small-groups-and-individual's-isk-on-jump-fuel-change to make up for a change in demand that we don't actually know will happen yet that admittedly will do nothing to power projection and only hurts small groups?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really show's where CCP's heart is when they increase the effective capacity of jump bridges and nerf the effective capacity of black ops.

      Delete
    2. This, 100x times this. 1st dev-post: yay! next dev-post: sissies! If I wanted this shady "hail-to-the-kings"-attitude, I would just watched the damn news on TV. I want my (w)alternate universe back. *sigh*

      Delete
  2. And while the CSM pats itself on the back for a job well done, industry players prepare to unsub accounts from the game - reducing CCP's revenue and thus ensuring that the game will be a better place for everyone, after CCP is forced into another round of layoffs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MOre buffs to null sec in the latest dev blog on costing and more kicks in the balls to high sec.

      Industry account unsubs are going to be an avalanche, making the Incarna debacle look like nothing but a whimper.

      Delete
    2. It is not like they will be shooting some monument in Jita. Expect that the Player Count will drop. But otherwise, casual Industrialists will just fade away. And who is going to notice? As long as the tutorials continue to turn out antimatter fodder for the gankers, they wont care. As long as null can continue with their donut and a serving of blue, they wont care. It will take a while before there is a noticeable impact on market prices - so no change for missioners with their low hull turn over.

      The real amusing thing is that moons were intended to be a conflict driver. Which Null has been at pains to completely subvert for years. Siphons - we don't want no stinking siphons.

      No, instead its "Farms and Fields". Sorry to spill the secret, but if they have not gone to Null already - there is nothing which has been announced so far which will "convert the high-sec heathen into faithful null peon". One word that Null never will have: independence.

      Delete
  3. Well, I for one is really hoping for a massive heap of unsubs - I'm fairly confident I'll drop my three accounts - and that the various massive fuckwads currently running things in Iceland get booted out. Fozzie, Rise, Grayscale, etc. I'm sick and tired of this fucking "OH HAY LET'S NERF ALL THE THINGS" mentality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am laughing, but sadly. Looks like all my warning are coming true. But remember, there are so many holes in these blogs, so many unanswered questions, that no one knows how bad it will be for at least a couple more weeks, maybe even longer. It is gross incompetence to release these blogs with zero clue how they are going to handle the POS's and industry

      Delete
    2. @Anon140 - add my two accounts to yours. My subs run out in June, and I'm done.

      Delete
    3. -4 subs

      I spent years researching up my collection of "perfect" BPOs, so that I would have some advantage in the market, and now CCP is going to give perfect BPOs to everyone who has them researched up to only ME/PE 10.

      F**k this s**t.

      Delete
    4. Jokes on you for not doing the research on ME optimal vs perfect levels.

      Delete
    5. +3 unsubbed accounts. CCP Greyscale has already stated that "The functioning of the system is pretty solidified design-wise...", so they are not going to change it now. They are only looking to get enough Goons and Goon alts to publicly support them on the forums, so they can claim that listened fairly to the players and that the "majority" supported the changes.

      Delete
    6. If that's what they want, they're going to have to work a little harder. Aryth, one of the lead Goons, is in that thread going, "wait, you realize this is exploitable, right? we could totally blow this up. I mean, if you know that and you're OK with it..."

      It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Between the variable cost based on price and the the need to throw out all your spreadsheets and start over, it's not going to be a smooth transition.

      Delete
    7. What CCP failed to consider is that industry is a long-term game. The industry players spend months, even years, planning ahead and building up what they have.

      Now, CCP is going to tear it all down and make them start from scratch again.

      This would be similar to CCP deciding to redo the SP system for PVP skills and resetting everyone back to zero. I think you can guarantee that most of the older players would quit at that point.

      Ofc, the devs realize they can't reset the PVP players back to zero, but none of the devs play the industry game, so they don't realize that they have effectively done this to the industry players.

      No wonder those players are talking about letting their subs expire.

      Delete
    8. Anon1238 nailed it. I spent two years learning industry, training up the skills, building up POSs, making fuel, researching BPOs, and making a plan for the next year (and year past that). Now, CCP tells me that they have completely changed the industry game. Are they going to reimburse me for SP? For game time? Nope. Do I want to go through this all again? No, thank you.

      I wonder how Titan and Super Carrier pilots would feel if CCP decided to make these ships into cargo ships.

      Adios, folks - and, no, you can't have my stuff. I'm going to give it all to the Goons Economic Cabal.

      Delete
  4. i think some of these industry changes will be like it was with the logo frigs and procurers: people loaded up, hoarded up, and stocked up before the manufacturing costs increased.

    We are *just now* getting *close* to procs on the market reflecting their actual material cost. I think we'll see that with this industry expansion. T2 stuff I normally wouldn't make I've started the first step with making copies. Who knows?

    -Amari

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! All you guys who are unsubbing! I've been in EVE 5 years now and I expect to keep hunting, killing, exploring, mining, building and just plain having fun.
    Can I haz all your stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any word on when the townhall recording will be available?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.