Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Fanfest day zero: Monument

The unveiling was quite nice. :-)


It went off in a very understated way with maybe 250 or so EVE players and press in attendance. As I think I've mentioned, the monument is on the harbor, right on the water within an easy rock throw from CCP headquarters. As a matter of fact, during the unveiling, a number of CCP employees simply watched from the balconies of the upper levels of the building: prime seats! Hilmar spoke, then the artist, then the mayor of Reykjavik, and all three kept their comments short.

During this time, the monument was covered with a large black curtain held in place by two loops of heavy twine. Hilmar then presented the mayor with a large hunting knife (Iceland is weird) with which to cut the twine and the curtain was pulled off to general applause. Champagne was then made available and a couple hundred EVE players moved forward to see if they could spot their names. The name finder app is up and running and seems to work completely fine for me. It spotted all four of my mains without incident.

It also spotted a fifth name that I wanted to make sure was there.


If you've got sharp eyes, you probably noticed on the top photo that the monument literally was not uncovered for 15 minutes before it was defaced for the first time...


After that, the unveiling was a social occasion with much drinking and meeting of people that hadn't met yet. It was the first time that most or all of the Rote Kapelle attendees gathered in the same place. I also got the opportunity to have a long conversation with DNSBLACK and I can report there's no rancor present there on either side.

I then headed directly to The Celtic Cross for the #tweetfleet meet-up where Neville Smit and the rest of the EVE University guys were gracious enough to let me hijack a seat at their table for a while. This has got to be one of the smallest bars in Iceland and last year I was turned away from the meet-up due to the space limitations. This time, I got there a good 45 minutes early to avoid that. By the time I left about three hours later, there was a line of people waiting to get in. But while I was there, I got the opportunity to chat with the E-UNI guys, some more social time with my alliance-mates, and a bit of mingling. Not to mention a few pints of Guinness. Good times!

Still a bit jet-lagged, though, I decided to crash a bit early. As payment, I'm up early and feeling great this morning and looking across the street at Harpa. The Fanfest flags aren't posted yet, but they've got a few hours to do that!

16 comments:

  1. "If you've got sharp eyes, you probably noticed on the top photo that the monument literally was not uncovered for 15 minutes before it was defaced for the first time..."

    I'm not sure this counts as defacing. After all, it's a CCP monument to EVE players, and CCP has made it plenty clear that we non-Goons don't count, so adding their symbol really just makes it a bit more honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goons used a sticker because they couldn't lift their leg that high. They're just marking their territory.

      Delete
    2. It is going to be real interesting to see how many people will be left in the game not fitted with a cartel yoke within 12 months.

      While there is no way to tell how many low sec chars are not just alts of null sec players, it is very clear that when missions and incursions are murdered (oh yeah, that is coming, just like high sec and low sec industry was just wiped out), within 7 months the only way to earn enough ISK to play this game will be by either working for one of cartels, or by buying plexes.

      Delete
    3. Strange comment, I've not seen anything about industry getting wiped out... I've seen some devblogs that actually turn industry into a game where players get to play the part of industrialists and enterpreneurs.

      I know there are lots of players who are upset that they can no longer press a button in some software and be told by the computer what to manufacture, but that's not a game, it's like playing chess, but using a chess computer to calculate your optimal moves.

      Delete
    4. My industrial profits are going to go up when the expansion hits. Majority of my industrial endeavors are done in hi-sec.

      Delete
    5. @Disdale Yeah, it's absurd to think to pay for a game you enjoy playing (dispite all your rambling, if you have no fun, what are you doing here?)

      Disclosure: I am a high-sec casual, happily awaiting the summer expansion. For it's the first time I can reasonably try out industry (without hunting for slots). Sure, the margins may shrink. Who cares? Until now, I never had margins because I hit a wall the last time I tried my hands at production.

      Delete
  2. Fuck off with your tinfoil hat bullshit. Man up and post with a name instead anonymous.

    RIP KaTurN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all those fat americans invading Iceland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at all the skinny foreigners coming to America and getting fat.

      Delete
    2. It's certainly not the American diet...McDonalds cares about you. ;-)

      http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/food_quality/nutrition_choices.html

      Delete
  4. Sooo many virgins, all in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about the soldier's name, I forget, he died in the embassy attack? Was his name on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean Smith, aka Vile Rat, plate row 9, column 8, line number 116.

      Delete
  6. I think the Gurista's stole the last few minutes of the live stream from the intended audience. Care to mention what we missed? I was all agog for a fancy new trailer / vision animation but can't help but feel disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keynote, sorry, not the end of the stream.

      Delete
  7. For fraks sakes, guys - hahaha! You truly are the worst of my kind :D

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.