Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

March junk drawer

Welcome to the junk drawer, part of a series of monthly posts in which I dump all the stuff that I couldn't develop into full blog posts this past month. There were lots of little items that I only got a paragraph or so out of this month. Pretty much everything else got turned into a full-length post.

---snip---

A couple of links that made me laugh, but which I couldn't really develop into full blog posts:
  • B-R5RB now has its own Wikipedia entry, modeled after real-life military battles. Will it last? I guess we'll see.
  • Rote Kapelle is doing pretty well so far as a Provibloc member. We're managing to hold our culture together while still following Providence rules (though I'll cheerfully admit it's been a struggle at times). The bit that made me laugh is that Provibloc has a KOS website to keep track of who can and cannot be shot in Providence. I was amused to note that I am now the only member of CSM8 not KOS in Providence. Even Mike Azariah isn't welcome. ;-)
---snip---

Really short one: was there anything going on in terms of EVE CCP-player dynamics this month? Because if there was, themittani.com missed it. Must have been a quiet month on that score. Yet there was still time to cover this...

I kid, I kid.(1) There were actually good reasons for them not to cover the story: why further incite the earthquake that was already shaking? Hell, in a way I'm grateful they didn't cover it. But it nevertheless still had me chuckling a bit. It's not news, it's TMC.

---snip---

This also kind of made me chuckle. I'm not an expert or anything but apparently in the CFC, one records one's attendance in fleets so that one's corp or alliance will get credit for participation. Those statistics are then used to divide the spoils of war of the various invasions or decide who is given or gets to retain this or that moon. Only you don't get the link until the fleet is over so that you can't just show up, click the link, then go back to what you were doing before.

It's both completely practical and face-palm-inducing at the same time. Very Goony.

---snip---

Two items related to EVE application development. First, as you've likely heard, CREST is getting another nudge, this time in the direction of the market, which is allowing for some really interesting data and analysis to start to trickle out. Here's the big version of the graph if you'd like to see it. It's PLEX prices going back to the beginning.


For this reason, I really hope Steve Ronuken gets elected to CSM9. I can't share more about what's going on with CREST without breaking NDA, but it's time for someone who really knows this stuff to be in there pushing on it hard, instead of a few of us -- well, mostly me, really -- nudging it. But more about that when I start endorsing CSM9 candidates. But yeah, Steve's going to be one of my endorsements.

Second, we allllmost lost an important EVE application this past month. I don't use EVEHQ myself -- it's a bit fat for my taste. But I know it provides a valuable service to those of you who do and I'm glad it got a reprieve.

---snip---

And as I started with two links, let's end with two kinda "WTF?" links and one really useful link.

I knew that Pandemic Legion was using its outpost names to spoil major TV shows, movies, and video games but I'm pretty sure I've never pointed it out. It's kind of a dick move but PL wouldn't be PL without dick moves. Obviously, don't click if you don't want to be spoiled! And don't go to their space either, I guess.

Second, if this isn't a WTF tweet, I don't know what is. ;-)

The really useful link is this pilot analysis tool, courtesy of the Russian EVE community. Very handy for a quick run-down of what your potential enemy flies, fits, or where he roams. Great stuff!

---snip---

And that's all for the junk drawer this month.


(1) Oh yeah, I went there. (Think about it for a second. You'll get it.)

11 comments:

  1. About TMC...

    I'm guessing they didn't cover it as much like everyone else who has touched on this saga, whatever they say about it will be taken badly by a bunch players. It appears to be quite a divisive issue.

    TMC not covering it is possibly their best piece of journalism so far. Take that as you will :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, TMC was kind of in a no-win situation with regards to the issue; anything they said, including nothing, would be seen through the prism of its namesake's history within the game.

      To be really fair, though, it's said namesake's own fault that TMC got stuck in that no-win situation...

      Delete
  2. Let's be fair, Goat Simulator is a far superior game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As puns go, it's not the worst I've heard and that's probably the highest complement a goat pun can get...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a baaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhd pun, just baaaaaahhhhhhd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's interesting and maybe a little worrying that PLEX volume is flat since sometime around Inferno. It seems like another indicator which points in the direction of worries that the player base hasn't grown for something like two years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, you have to realize the business model of a MMOG company: they understand that players will come and go. That the level is stable may be a reflection of their plateau (the percentage of mmog players whom eve attracts) of players coming and going at a stable rate.

      they simply have to work out what will grow their company. Now, obviously their latest financial details showed a very nice profit off of eve alone, so it's not like they're packing it in any time soon...*shrug*

      So go ahead and worry all you want. I just am relieved plex volume hasn't dropped in inverse proportion to the price of plex. now THAT would be worrying

      Delete
  6. If he's going to press on the CREST issues then Steve will get my vote for CSM9. I don't care if he's torturing goats out-of-game in a twisted barnyard bonus room, he'll get my vote. CREST was touted by CCP Seagull as something BIG and useful for EVE almost 2 years ago and so far there's really nothing to show for it. Let's hope some cool things are happening on that front.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be really interested in your thoughts on moving to Provi and the PvP there or is it too soon?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm cool with the typical anti-CFC sneering in the general forums and such, as it's full of people less knowledgeable than yourself, Ripard. But getting a whiff of it here, in these examples, is disappointing.

    A) The CFC pap links are not used to hold fleets hostage, as in the Reddit example. In the link, it was a just a dick move by one FC. Peoples' handling of the PAP links vary according to the individual, and to a lesser extent, the parent alliance's execution of the policies. This is not valid "grr goons" fuel, nor a valid anti-CFC jab. It is face-palm-worthy for that FC, but stereotyping past the individual from this event wouldn't be wise.
    Personally, I also avoid that FC's fleets for similar reasons. Other coalition and GSF FC's are good fellas who roll out the pap link within a fair amount of time.

    B) Your dig at TMC doesn't come off so well, given that highlighting the E1 issue had little journalistic value. Editorial value, sure, and highly contentious and divisive at that. But it's not a good basis to validate some weird resentment, or whatever it is. Particularly given that TMC's multi-faction staff is visibly attempting to be fair, and mostly succeeding well, compared to somewhere like EN24. Flawless, no. But worthy of ridicule? Compared to what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the one hand, Ripard has only been quoted at TMC as the "CMS vice-chair" when he does something they disagree with. The few times they have mentioned his him has been without his name or the fact that his perspective is personal. That, combined with a reference of The_Mittani trying to get information on him, is worth a level of suspicion. However, on the other hand, I agree with Solai's point that these are poor examples, especially when compared to the other "news" site in Eve, which does far more editorializing of content.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.