Welcome to Jester's Trek.
I'm your host, Jester. I've been an EVE Online player for about six years. One of my four mains is Ripard Teg, pictured at left. Sadly, I've succumbed to "bittervet" disease, but I'm wandering the New Eden landscape (and from time to time, the MMO landscape) in search of a cure.
You can follow along, if you want...

Saturday, May 24, 2014

This is why we test

Sigh. I'm getting rather tired of reporting massive Zenimax Online screw-ups, so I'll make this one fairly quick.

Today, Zenimax released version 1.1.2 of ESO, a patch that should have been absolutely nothing but good news for players. The patch includes dozens and dozens of fixes for ESO's most annoying issues. It also includes lots of upgrades to ESO's "veteran" level content, a new 4-person veteran dungeon, a new "trial" challenge for 12-person groups, nice upgrades and fixes to PvP, and lots and lots of other stuff. Combined with Zenimax's increasingly successful war on bots within the game -- in one session this week, I only saw one group of bots in four hours -- ESO should have been able to go into the busy Memorial Day gaming weekend in the U.S. in triumph.

Except for the fact that they also screwed up royally.

Not only is the patch a 25GB monster, but once that monster download is complete, many players are reporting that the in-game quest achievement system and tracking system for all the in-game's quests has a display bug. In short: you're no longer able to see what in-game quests you have completed. In any zone. Whether you have finished that zone or not. The devs insist that the bug is a display bug and the achievements are not lost. But if you're playing the game to quest, the game is essentially rendered unplayable for existing characters as they fight with blank quest journals.

Face. Palm.

Oh, but it gets better.

After a day of increasingly panicked devs in the forum thread on this disaster replying to player questions, they finally reluctantly revealed that they cannot back out this patch to fix the bug. Some players are reporting they are being told that repairing this problem is likely to take "at least two weeks." Whoops!

Anyway, expect this to break in the gaming press today. That's after Zenimax did a really big marketing push this week to promote this patch to the very same gaming press. Needless to say, a lot of players aren't happy and the business-killing R-word has started to appear in the various ESO fora... Sounds like it's time for another Zenimax apology. On a day that was supposed to be a triumph.

22 comments:

  1. How much playtime do people have left from their initial purchase and the free time Zenimax added ?

    Because major bugs showing up around the time that expires can't be good for any subscription game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well since I seem to be getting back into EVE and don't have time for two MMO. I guess this makes it easy to let my subscription lapse. Wonder if I can get a partial refund out of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how guys at Funcom feel about getting outdone by Zenimax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is; I went back to Age of Conan about 16 months ago and I still haven't left. It's actually an excellent game now with challenging and rewarding content but Funcom is simply too broke to promote it.

      Delete
    2. I wonder how the guys at CCP feel about getting outdone by Zenimax?

      TESO subscription numbers are much already higher than EVE Online, even with all of the bugs & complaints.

      Delete
  4. Friend of mine: TESO WILL BE TEH AWESOMEZ, YOU SHOULD BUY IT!

    Me: Um. No. Zenimax have no clue what they're doing. Its going to be a wreck and it'll implode within three months.

    ... This was a month before release. Could I not have been more accurate?

    ReplyDelete
  5. **New Achievement unlocked!**

    Megapatch Wreck: 'After releasing 25 GB worth of patch, your customers notice how the patch has broken a key feature of the UI. They are not happy'

    ReplyDelete
  6. At first, the patch is "only" around 6 GB, depends on the language of your client.

    I had so much hope in this game and saw a lot of potential. Was a bit happy, that I personell wasn´t hit very hard by bugs. And then came 1.1.2.. ZOS destroyed all the good things with this single patch. It´s simply uncedibly.

    And the best thing came last night. The hotfix that should correct the damage and health of mobs in VR-zones did exatly nothing...

    Whereby the first thing they should have been corrected should have been the memory leaks and co...

    And I don´t really beleve that the lost achievements are only a displaybug. Come on, "at least a few weeks" to correct a displaybug?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not seen the achievement bug, but then I never look at that window either, so I may have it and just not realize it. I did have some odd disappearing quests and the ui going non-responsive quite a lot the 1st day, but some of that seems to have been hotfixed.

    http://nomadicgamer.wordpress.com/2014/05/23/eso-craglorn-update/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, at least ESO's problems are due to bugs and not deliberately foolish design decisions like the upcoming industry changes to EVE Online, which is going to cost them thousands of subs.

    Zenimax can, and will, fix their bugs, but I doubt that CCP can fix their seemingly terminal stupidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah cuz zeni has a long history of bug free games..............But u are totally right its so dumb that null sec should have better efficiency then high sec, I love it CCP is breaking the game by fixing something that was inherently flawed. but the high sec carebears only say grrrrr goons they don't even think about the ppl that came b4 them went to 0.0 and found out it was lame that they had to manufacture and reprocess in high sec to get the best margins. Yeah totally not ass backwards. Id argue they are fixing their terminal stupidity. (I live in low sec im not a goon or in a null ally so im looking at this purely from game design pov.) TBH Seagull I was never sure about but after how she has rearranged things this year it seems to me she has put the infrastructure in place to achieve her 5 year plan, I like where the future of EvE is going now, and I trust CCPs current dev team to actually do it right. Something I would have never said b4 and I still paid for my sub then lol.

      Delete
    2. Congratulations, you are the first person I encounter who thinks that handing out access to new space exclusively to nullsec uberalliances is a good idea...

      Delete
    3. I don't know about "thousands of subs", but all of my high-sec research POSes are coming down this weekend and I'm letting two accounts go in August.

      I doubt I'm the only one to be trimming accounts, so, we'll just need to wait and see what the final tally comes down to.

      Delete
    4. "they don't even think about the ppl that came b4 them went to 0.0 and found out it was lame that they had to manufacture and reprocess in high sec to get the best margins."

      Point me where in the formula "risk vs reward" does it says all cards must be stacked on one side.

      Delete
    5. @Fire Bush

      Yes, high sec should be more efficient in industry than low sec. In reality, industry flourishes in a stable environment.

      Delete
  9. How this bug is more than a minor problem is beyond me. It doesn't impede actually playing the game at all. As for the patch, most of it could be avoided b y stopping and restarting the launcher. I shut it down with 3.8 GB to go.. restarted and was playing. The biggest problem TESO faces right now is people bitching about every little thing. Actually, much of the game community is like that - its the negativity olympics or something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I played the week-long open beta of Wildstar last week, and it's far and away better than TESO could ever hope to be even with another year of development.

    I went in thinking it would be terrible and left with a pre-order, which is unusual for me because I had sworn off pre-orders ever again after the SWTOR debacle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pre-orders are the latest bane in the gaming industry, so long they are bought without experiencing the gameplay first. Really, there is no excuse to pre-order a digital delivered game. The companies only include pre-order exclusives to pander to this despicable practice.

      In the case above, it is more akin to playing a demo, making your mind and then spending the money. I see no problem with it.

      Delete
  11. Does anyone actually play EVE Online anymore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope the server has 30k to 60k of no one playing at one time.

      Delete
    2. Well, I saw 12K the other day, so that's a few less of no one playing.

      Delete
  12. why are you playing that orcs and elfs pos anyway?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.