This blog has never really been about "what I do in EVE". Sure, I've written about it when I was running for CSM but this isn't the sort of blog where you show up and find out what I've been doing this week. Ain't my thing. There are lots of blogs for that. Still, I thought it might be amusing to make a big list of all the things in the WTD site and then document the ones I've tried, how often I play EVE that way myself, and when the last time I did this or that thing in EVE was.
So that's below. Consider this a post that kind of informs my perspective on EVE Online and where I'm coming from. For reference, I normally operate with one main income source and one supplemental income source. For the table below, "most recently" represents the most recent time I engaged in that activity. "For how long" is either how long I engaged in that activity, or for ones I'm doing today, how long I've been doing it for. For activities I engage in today, "How frequently" is how often I engaged in them. For obsolete activites, "How frequently" is how often I engaged in them when I did so.
|Category||Activity||Done?||Most recently||How long||How frequently|
|PvE||Wormhole sites||Yes||Mid-2010||Six months||Daily(1)|
|PvE||Exploration/Signatures||Yes||Today/active||Four years||Every few months|
|PvE||Exploration/Anomalies||Yes||Today/active||Four years||Every few weeks|
|PvE||FacWar/Signatures||Yes||Today/active||Few months||Every few days|
|PvE||Ratting||Yes||Today/active||Five years||Every few days(2)|
|PvE||Incursions||Yes||2012||One year||Every few months(3)|
|PvE||Missions/Standard||Yes||Late 2011||Four years||Almost daily(4)|
|PvE||Missions/Salvaging||Yes||Late 2011||Four years||Almost daily(6)|
|PvE||Missions/R&D||Yes||Today/active||Three years||Passive income|
|PvE||Missions/Ninja salv||Yes||2010||Few months||Almost never|
|PvP||Gate-camping||Yes||2012||Three years||Every few weeks|
|PvP||Roaming gangs||Yes||Today/active||Four years||Almost daily(7)|
|PvP||Suicide ganking||Yes||2010||One month||Almost daily(8)|
|PvP||Ninja looting||Yes||Today/active||Three years||Almost daily|
|PvP||Trade window scams||No|
|PvP||Psychological warfare||Yes||Today/active||Two years||Almost daily|
|PvP||Ratter/bot hunting||Yes||2011||Two years||Every few weeks(9)|
|PvP||Scouting||Yes||2011||Two years||Every few days|
|PvP||Solo PvP||Yes||2012||Two years||Every few weeks|
|PvP||Red vs Blue||No|
|PvP||Faction warfare||Yes||Late 2009||Eight months||Every day(10)|
|PvP||Structure bashing||Yes||Mid 2011||One year||Every few days|
|PvP||Homeland defense||Yes||Today/active||Two years||Almost daily|
|PvP||Sov war||Yes||Mid 2011||Two years||Almost daily|
|Mining||Asteroid belts||Yes||2012||Five years||Almost daily(11)|
|Mining||Grav sites||Yes||2010||Six months||Almost daily(12)|
|Mining||Mission ore||Yes||2010||One year||Every few weeks|
|Mining||Ice belts||Yes||2011||Two years||Every few weeks|
|Mining||LADAR sites (gas)||Yes||2010||Six months||Every few days(12)|
|Mining||Planetary interaction||Yes||Today/active||18 months||Passive income|
|Industry||Station trading||Yes||2011||Two years||Every few months|
|Industry||Market manipulation||Yes||2012||Two years||Every few weeks|
|Industry||Reprocessing||Yes||2011||Three years||Every few weeks(9)|
|Industry||Blueprint research||Yes||Today/active||Two years||Daily|
|Industry||T1 manufacturing||Yes||Today/active||Two years||Daily|
|Industry||T2 invention||Yes||Today/active||Two years||Daily|
|Industry||T2 manufacturing||Yes||Today/active||Two years||Daily(7)(14)|
|Hauling||NPC goods trading||Yes||2009||Two years||Daily(15)|
|Hauling||Courier contracts||Yes||2009||Two years||Daily(15)|
|Hauling||Low-sec/null logistics||Yes||2012||Two years||Every few months|
|Player||Writing||Yes||Today/active||Two years||Almost daily(16)|
Hm. That was kind of diverting. It certainly reminded me of a couple of things that I want to try in-game. It also reminds you just how many options there are in EVE Online! It surprises me how many things I haven't tried yet. I think I'll do this kind of post once a year or so and see how things change over time.
(1) In 2010, this was my main income source.
(2) Today, I do this mostly for sec status. In 2010 and early 2011, this was my supplemental income source.
(3) In late 2011, this was my supplemental income source.
(4) In 2009 and early 2010, this was my main income source.
(5) I've taken a lot of notes on this and plan to try it out. Just haven't gotten around to it.
(6) With the most recent salvage nerf, I almost never salvage rat wrecks any more even outside of missions.
(7) I'd characterize this as one of my two main EVE play styles today.
(8) I tried this for a month almost every day, got bored with it, and stopped. I prefer targets that shoot back.
(9) I need to go do some of this again. It was fun and/or profitable.
(10) For that time period, this was my main EVE play style.
(11) In 2008, this was my main income source. In 2009, it was my supplemental income source. I've always found mining very relaxing. I actually tried this with the new mining lasers early this year, just to see if it still was. It was.
(12) This was confined to wormhole grav sites.
(13) Did this on Singularity for a while to get a feel for it.
(14) This is currently my main income source.
(15) This was my supplemental income source in 2008.
(16) This is currently my supplemental income source.